User-agent: * Disallow: / ~*bean*~

~*bean*~

[ Saturday, December 23, 2006 ]

 

Run in at Safeway

So, I'm standing in the produce section at Safeway since most of our food tends to come from there. Usually I find that to be the most annoying part of grocery shopping so I go to that section first to get it over with. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it requires me to pick out the best vegetables and get my hands wet and cold when putting cilantro and squash in the plastic bags.

As I approach my cart and put my hand on the bar to wheel it away, an old white guy gets close enough that I start feeling very uncomfortable, and he has the nerve to place his hand on my cart. I stand there for a few awkward seconds trying to stare him down, waiting impatiently for him to ask the stereotypical questions I'm used to getting from men like him. But he won't even look me in the eye. Not knowing what else to say, I gruffly say "hi" in a tone that sounds more like I'm saying, "What the hell's your problem?!?!"

"It's mine," he says simply, and I look down at the unfamiliar food in my cart. Deeply embarrassed, I quickly apologize, find my real cart and make it out of the produce section, hoping I won't run into him while I do my other shopping.

Clearly, I also have stereotypes.

2 comments

2 Comments:

We all do sis... Its how you deal with 'em is more important...

By Blogger The Usual Suspect, at 4:23 PM  

I knew Santa was real!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment