[ Thursday, November 30, 2006 ]
Saying goodbye is always hard
Today was the last official day of my internship at the nursery school in Richmond. Technically, I've completed the required hours for my class program, but I plan to continue next semester. I'm taking a break for finals studying, but I should be back in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I'm going to miss these kids.
-I had to laugh at C, who ran around class with a doll strapped to her belly and a skirt on her head, saying she was a pregnant princess.
-R is doing so much better than when I first met him. Sadly, I used to be kind of intimidated by this five-year-old, but now he is on meds that restrain him. I don't like the idea of young children being on such meds, but I can see how much they've improved his behavior and concentration.
-A was having another silent day, where he had a hard time communicating and playing with other kids. However, he did have fun hiding behind me, underneath my long coat.
-During lunch today, everyone decided to sing their own renditions of "Who Let the Dogs Out."
-The other A told me he hated me today, but I've gotten used to his remarks and don't take them seriously. Sometimes he just needs his space. On days where he decides to wear the princess skirt, takes on a "mom" role, and runs around calling the girls "girlfriend," I can't help but laugh.
-I had fun swinging the little four-year-old, I, around. She's the newest and shyest kid, and it takes so much to get her to talk or even smile, so when she does, it's always a treat.
-S made my day by making me sand donuts in the sand box. "They have all the sugars!" she said excitedly. Clearly, she knows the way to my heart! (Incidentally, my dentist told me today that I don't have any cavities...so, I celebrated with more chocolate! Woot!)
-Towards the end of class, D barely budged from my lap. He has this thing about sucking his left thumb and with his right hand, grabbing the ear of the person whose lap he's sitting in. It's a comfort thing, I suppose. It never quite works with me since my hijab is always covering my ears. In any case, we had fun making his "mom" with the Mr. Potato Head, though at first he didn't want to because he said Mr. Potato Head was too ugly. But, he gave her buff purple arms and a red purse specifically to match her red ear. I had to keep reassuring him that I would be coming back, and I felt guilty.
Anyway, the next two weeks are going to be painful. Please make dua that I do well on my finals and ace my classes!
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment