[ Tuesday, October 04, 2005 ]
Ramadan Mubarak.As I stopped at the red light the other morning in Berkeley, I glanced at the street corner and saw a black elderly homeless man holding a huge cardboard sign to his chest and stretching out a cup to anyone who passed by. I didn't have to read the sign to know that he was probably asking for help. As I sat in my warm car that chilly morning, I saw with concern that he was wearing a shabby, thin coat and was talking to himself. I was distracted by a white woman in the corner cafe getting up from her seat and reaching into her purse for her wallet. For some reason I thought that she might be going outside to give the man some money, but instead she went to counter to buy coffee and a danish. I shouldn't have been surprised; after all, that's what people do in cafes in the morning. I couldn't help thinking, however, that the man must have been just as hungry.
Tomorrow, I'll be feeling that same hunger.
2 comments
2 Comments:
ahaha I'm reading your blog and I'm hungry (iftar is about 3 hrs away or should I say Magrib?) I think it's a different kind of hunger though. It's submitting to God knowing we'll have an iftar at the end of the day hunger whereas his hunger may be a hunger of necessity with no end in sight. But yeah, I really really really want a keema samosa right now... mmmmmmm
wow that's pretty sad :(
Post a Comment