User-agent: * Disallow: / ~*bean*~

~*bean*~

[ Thursday, October 13, 2005 ]

 

People of the Book

I was relieved to get out of lab earlier today so that I would not have to rush to pray Asr salah. As I got into an elevator, another student wearing mostly white entered and pressed the button for the fifth floor. I saw that he was wearing a yarmulke and as I had read the signs for the "chabad" on the fifth floor, I asked curiously, "It's Yom Kippur today, right?"
"Yeah, it's the last day," he replied.
"I saw the signs by the elevator," I explained. "What does 'chabad' mean?"
"Chabad," he responded, pronouncing it like the letter "kha" in Arabic, "is the religious service."
By then the elevator had stopped to my floor.
"I've been fasting for 22 hours," he said, looking tired.
"Yeah, I know how that feels," I replied with a smile. "I'm fasting too."

I couldn't help but think about the parallels of our faiths. We both had our heads covered, were fasting, and were on our way to pray for forgiveness from the same God. Subhan Allah, we all have more in common than we think we do.

6 comments

6 Comments:

That was just beautiful. Alhamdulillah.

By Blogger yasmine, at 12:10 AM  

i hope he also saw the same meaning in that encounter.

By Blogger Anjum, at 12:12 PM  

Salams
Nice blog you have Mashallah
Please take a look at mine and link here also.
Wasalam

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:41 PM  

Beautiful post.
And Eid Greetings! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:58 PM  

What a great site bmw cooper http://www.travel-insurance-for-longer-than-18-months.info/Mcgee-v-international-life-insurance.html cadillac 2004 assurance canada life sun water filters

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 PM  

Enjoyed a lot! need pop up blocker free one Asthma household remedies Popup add blocker mobile edge backpack mebpp1 Pee in anal Tyson roe block pop up ads popupblocker block pop up ads Nexium capsules Neurontin law firms Seroquel affects

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment