[ Sunday, May 01, 2005 ]
Highlights of the Sunday School Milad Program- It started off with the high school brothers doing a skit on temptations they face on a daily basis at school. When they talked about the "stuff" (i.e. drugs), all the younger kids in our class kept staring blankly, asking, "What stuff? I don't get it." I quieted them down, saying they don't need to know about that yet, and we'd talk about it later. Our kids also thought the bit about the brother getting bullied was really hilarious.
- The high school brothers talked about how much coming to Sunday School has a positive impact on their lives, but then were unable to read the lines they supposedly wrote for themselves.
- I couldn’t help but laugh at the students who sang the Urdu naat
"Jashne Aamede Rasool" by
Shaam. Instead of singing "phool" (flowers), they sang it as "fool":
Jashne Aamede Rasool
Allahi Allah
Bibi Amina ke [fool]…
By the way, I also love Shaam's nasheeds
"Signs," "Jood Aleyna," and
"Huzur Aa Gaye Hain" (which makes me almost weep with memories of Pakistan). Ok, I just need to get the albums.
- After singing a nasheed adorably, two girls almost had a brawl onstage over who would get to put the mic back.
- Our Iraqi student, Tarik, looked at my bracelets and asked why I was wearing jewelry when I had told them that they couldn’t wear it. To clarify, I had not wanted a repeat of last year's graduation ceremony, where the students had treated it as a fashion show. Maha turned to him and replied, "No, she didn't want it to be Bollywood type jewelry."
- The MC, who happens to be a second year student in college, announced us as "Auntie Yasmine and Auntie S's class." As we got up to lead the class onstage, he caught himself and was like, "Well, maybe not aunties..."
- We returned from the stage and settled down. In the middle of the next program, one of our students, Aneesa stared at Yasmine and suddenly exclaimed, "You're a good teacher!" Yasmine laughed and thanked here. Aneesa looked at her for another solid few seconds in silence and then said, "Yasmine, right?" When asked what my name was, she stared at me with a look on concentration on her face. She finally looked back at Yasmine and said uncertainly, "Yaseen?"
- The love of our students who wanted to know if today was the last day of school and if they
have to come back next week. Yes. You do.
- The masjid President, an uncle who masha Allah loves to bust out with Urdu poems, led the audience in the masjid song. Yes, we have an official masjid song. We ended with duas in Arabic, English, and Urdu.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment