[ Wednesday, December 08, 2004 ]
She's feeling down. I took one look at her face yesterday and just knew. But she simply said she was tired. I let it pass.
Today she told me. He has enough respect for her and her reputation to put distance between them. They both know it's the right thing to do. But that doesn't mean it doesn't affect them. I tell her that if he's sincere, he'll know that she's worth waiting for. "At least it's a mutual thing," I say, and then I wince as all the pain rushes back, as it always does. "I wish it wasn't," she replies. "Don't say that!" I sigh, as I give her a hug.
Later, as we walk to my car and I drop her off, she asks me how I'm doing. I know what she means. "Is it any better? Any easier?" I know she's asking for her own sake as much as for mine. And yet, I can't lie to her: "It still hurts just as much, although now in a different way."
I drive home with the rain pouring down on me in my own lonely, little world.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment