[ Tuesday, December 21, 2004 ]
"Hold on say yes, while people say no"
She takes a break from her reading, and I rest my eyes from the outlines that are supposed to jog my memory into writing coherent essays the next morning. She places a plateful of sliced green apples in front of me, and I find myself reaching out to try one. Not because I really like healthy food, but because they look juicy, and my brain craves to be re-hydrated from the effort of memorizing an overload of material on such short notice.
"When you were growing up, did you ever feel different from others?" I ask, thereby starting a long discussion on old friends, family, identity, lifestyles, and choices.
She tells me about one of her old friends from middle school who was "messed up," and how it made it difficult for them to remain friends. About how that girl ended up being suicidal and her mother simply couldn't accept it. I grab a few more slices of apples and listen, my face expressionless, recalling buried memories. But there are some things better left unsaid.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment