[ Wednesday, October 27, 2004 ]
Progress?
Last Thursday,
he took part in a SJP demonstration on Sproul Plaza and stopped me to ask how I was recuperating from my midterm. He had taken notes for me and another student the day before when we decided to skip lecture to study for the midterm. We talked for a while about the Israel-Palestine conflict but he said he didn't want to make me late for my salah.
Monday, he asked me to sit next to him in Discussion section, even though I usually don't. I jokedly asked him if he was lonely. We talked about the dinner parties we had gone to the night before, ironically in the same city.
Today, he walked over when he saw me on Sproul Plaza talking to another sister. I introduced them both. He asked how our fasting was going, and then said he hadn't eaten all day and he might as well have fasted. I agreed. When he was leaving, she said salaam, and he replied back naturally, without another thought. I do not say salaam to him every time, thinking he might consider it as pressuring him.
In class today, he sat behind me since his usual seat next to me was taken. We made jokes about saying hello in fobby accents from now on, him with an Arab one and me with a Desi one. As he put his stuff down to sit next to the brother in the row behind me, he made a point of telling him his real Arab name this time, rather than introducing himself with his "American" name, as he had done with me. I asked him if he preferred us calling him by his Arab name, and he replied that he was cool with that or his last name.
So is this progress? Could it be because he's on our halaqa Ramadan dua list?
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment