[ Wednesday, September 01, 2004 ]
Expect the Unexpected
A girl in my Bio lec had a seizure this morning. Two students raised their hands and shouted to the professor. The professor asked the sound technician to call 911, but the technician said she couldn't get any signal. Why couldn't she just run outside and call? Alhamdulillah there was a student there who is an EMT. The prof suggested putting something under the student's tongue, but the EMT student said not to. Ironic that we were in a Bio class, learning about the human body, yet the prof didn't know what the proper response was. All the students took out their cell phones to call the ambulance. One student made it through and said they were on their way. The seizure student was past shaking, so she was doing ok, and the EMT student slowly led her down the stairs and helped her lie down on the ground. She looked so pale and weak. I guess I shouldn't be as cynical as I've become, but the prof could've been a little more sensitive. She went right back to lecturing and only paused for a minute when the medical person came in to lead the seizure student away. There was no way to focus on the lec after that. It was good that no one panicked and there wasn't mass chaos, but that was due to the students themselves, not because the staff had anything to do with it. I really think that all staff should be trained in how to handle emergencies.
I hope I'm never in such a situation where I have to rely on strangers to have common sense and the knowledge to take care of me. Forget trying to make it, I'd just be focusing on trying to say the shahadah.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment