[ Friday, July 16, 2004 ]
Recognition
As I stopped at an intersection today, I glanced at a pedestrian at the corner and immediately did a double take. It wasn't her, of course. It never is. But that doesn't keep me from repeatedly having these moments, especially when I least expect them. I couldn't help but shiver.
It's been over a year now since April's death. And yet, I still think of her bright smile and the way she used to always joke around. And then I remember her packed funeral service…the stories, the tears, the hugs.
Her death came as such a shock to us. She had so much going for her. It was our senior year in high school, a time when most of us felt that the future looked bright and that time was always going to stand still for us. We were counting the days until graduation and were all busy making plans. It didn't seem like anything could stop us…
But death. It made us think. Although we all realize that we're going to die some time, we just don't like thinking about it happening to those who are young and bursting with energy and promise. Sometimes Duniyya catches up with us, and it takes things like death to wake us up. We can plan all we want, but in the end, it's not really up to us.
Subhan Allah, April's time was up. That's all that was destined for her. And like I do every time I think that I spot her walking down the street, I find myself wondering how much time I have left.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment