User-agent: * Disallow: / ~*bean*~

~*bean*~

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 ]

 

I haven't updated this thing in a while. Just don't have the energy for it. Besides, anything I place here right now will probably be depressing, so why add any more negativity?

But alas, the natives are restless. So I guess I will just update. Even if it's all blah.

Today I went to the bank. As an elderly lady was passing by, she stopped, smiled and asked, "Do you speak Punjabi?"Surprised, I answered that I did, although technically I speak a dialect which is a mixture of Urdu and Punjabi.  But whatever. She proceeded to ask that generic question, the one that I have grown to detest: "So, where are you from?" I answered that I'm Pakistani. "Funny, she replied, "I've been running into a lot of people like you lately who've come from Pakistan and are studying here." I smiled and nodded, then felt the need to clarify: "Actually, I was born and raised here." Take that woman! Not all people who choose to wear their ethnic form of dress are "new" to this oh so benevolent country. *sigh* I'm tired of assumptions. "You must be able to read this then," she said as she pulled out an illustrated magazine in Sanskrit. As she flipped through the pages, I saw that it was most likely one of those Christian magazines used to convert people. "No, actually that's in Sanskrit, so I can't read it," I replied. "But it says right here it's in Punjabi," she protested. "Well it's definitely in Sanskrit," I said and then smiled and left before she could hand it to me anyway. I guess I could've explained that Punjabi can be written in Sanskrit, but I didn't feel like it.  And I didn't have the energy to explain to her that I was happy with my faith and didn't need to be converted to Christianity. I'm tired of explaining things to well intentioned people. I'm sick of it. 


0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment