[ Wednesday, May 05, 2004 ]
Thank you all for your comments, hugs, and reminders. It means a lot, because I was pretty down.
It's amazing how much things changed in a week. I've started to see a whole new side to Muslims on campus that I thought I knew so well. I've come to the conclusion that I'm either naive, give people too much credit, or overlook certain things in attempts to have a good opinion of people. Maybe all of that. I still keep hoping they'll change though. I never realized it was that rampant. So disappointing. And I'm worried about how next year's going to be. I don't even want to think about it.
The reason I hadn't updated for a week was because I was focused on one of my research paper for my Islam class. I wrote a 11.5 page paper on Muslim marriages in the U.S., looking at what Islam says about the subject versus how people nowadays treat it. In the process I interviewed five people about their experiences, an Imam and my dad being two of them. My dad surprised me the most. We ended up talking for a good 3 hours, until about 2 am, about arranged marriages, interfamily marriages, gender relations, generation gap issues, common marriage problems, and his own marriage experience. I guess one of the reasons why it went so well was because it was a research paper so we could both relax and not get so emotional about it. I realized that I don't give my dad enough credit; he understands more than I thought he does about how things are. It's made me somewhat relieved because we sort of resolved something that had been bothering me for such a long time. I think insha Allah my istikhara is working.
I'll probably be focused on my remaining finals for the next couple of weeks. Be back when I can.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment