User-agent: * Disallow: / ~*bean*~

~*bean*~

[ Monday, April 12, 2004 ]

 

Let's get educated already!

Islam is a moderate religion that allows for diversity and changing times. While it's important that we follow all the commands, changing times allow for different interpretations of things...that's why we have fatwas. My issue is that I'm tired of people mistaking culture for religion, or assuming that if they didn't already know about something just because they grew up in a "Muslim" country, that means that it's an innovation in Islam. And I'm not even talking about fatwas here; I'm talking about Islamic shariah practised in the Prophet's (pbuh) time. I'm not going to pretend that I know a ton about shariah, but if I don't understand something and it's bothering me, I will take the time to research it. My beef is with people who although they do realize that they don't know much about the subject, continue to give their own outrageous opinions about serious matters such as shariah, without taking the time to find out much about it. I'm not going to buy the weak "Well, in my time we were taught this and this" argument. That's not even an arguement. I definitely understand that there are different interpretations of things in Islam. And I understand that people have different opinions and should be allowed to voice them, but that doesn't mean that they should bring Islam into it, because then they misconstrue what Islam is about. The general public already has wrong ideas about Islam. Let's not add our own ignorance.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment