[ Friday, April 16, 2004 ]
Another good day
Yesterday I went to the library to take a half hour nap before I'd have to go to study group. I sat down on the comfy leather couches and put my head down. For some reason, I kept waking up after ever five minutes, feeling as if I had slept for a good 10-15 minutes. Anyway, eventually I was deep asleep and woke up realizing that I was already late for study group and there was no point in going. So I went back to sleep. I woke up after a good couple of hours and looked around, embarrassed to see Bro M studying at a nearby table. I still get embarrassed by falling asleep on the couches, esoecially if there are guys nearby. We talked for a little bit, and he said I had been sleeping for a long time...which made me even more embarrassed because I wondered just how long he
had been sitting there. He was hard at work studying for today's midterm, and invited me to watch his presentation which would be coming up. We were whispring so as to not disturb everyone, so I couldn't catch all the details, but I told him to call me and let me know.
Later on, as I was tabling for the MSA, I struck up a conversation with the guy next to me. It turns out that they have an interfaith Qur'an study circle type thing. I had heard about that club and how the MSA wasn't too thrilled about them...They're controversial I guess. I still enjoyed talking to that guy about halaqas though. He said that many Unitarians come to their meetings, and although they're Christians, they seem to have beliefs more alligned with Islam. I don't really know about Unitarians. I figured the guy was probably Shia, so I asked him if the rumor--that many Shias on campus feel like the MSA is a Sunni-only club--is true. He responded that although he's Iranian, he's neither Shia nor Sunni...He just calls himself a Muslim. Interesting.
Bro S was nice enough to help me close up the dawah table as he was walking by. The dawah table takes some time setting up and taking away since the table is the type that comes undone (by unscrewing the poles) and there are two chairs, a heavy bag filled with dawah material, the msa logo board, and the cart thing to worry about. It was more like me teaching Bro S to pack everything up, but hey, it's all good...It's the intention that counts.
I had the blessing of listening to Shaykh Murtadha's talk on maghfirah, which was translated into English by one of the mothers of a student. We did Maghrib salah in congregation and then Shaykh Murtadha sang a nasheed...I called
Apaji up and left it as a message to her so that she could at least get a sense of it. Insha Allah he'll be back to campus in two weeks, and the MSA is working on making it a permanent arrangement.
I decided to skip the MSA bowling night since it would've been so late for me. In the parking lot, I had a reunion with
Bro A who I hadn't had a chance to catch up with in a while. We commiserated about early curfews and how it means that we can't always participate in all the social events. We talked about how we can't believe that there's only a month left in the semester and how time flies. He was nice enough to offer to drive me around if I ever have to run errands during the day. I thought it was kind of funny, since I have my own car every day anyway; but whatever, it was still nice of him.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment