User-agent: * Disallow: / ~*bean*~

~*bean*~

[ Tuesday, March 09, 2004 ]

 

Qawwali Music

So I'm NOT Desi, alright? But I'm taking a De-Cal course taught by three of my Muslim friends. It's about Music and poetry from the Muslim world. We've been reading poetry from Sufi poets like Jallaludeen Rumi and Rabia al-Adawia (I think I just butchered their names). I learned about how Qawwalis were introduced to India as a means of converting people to Islam, and it did just that. Last week we heard Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's "Allah Hoo," while going over the translation of his lyrics, and we also heard Sami Yusuf's version of it. Today, we watched a documentary on Nustrat Fateh Ali Khan's music, life, and death, and how Rahat Fateh Ali Khan (his nephew and protege) has continued their family Qawwali tradition. I really enjoyed watching the documentary, although at times it was a bit disturbing watching how the men really got so into the music that they were in a trance. I remember I had heard one of Rahat Fateh Ali Khan's songs, "Mann Ki Lagan"on Eid, and I had really liked it, probably because it was a more toned down, short qawwali that fused traditional and western music. I used to dislike qawwalis, dismissing them as really boring music for old people, but I couldn't help but sing along to familiar parts, like "Damastiqaladar Mast Mast," "Allah hoo," and "Kinna Sona Tenu Rab Ni Baraya." Let's just say that one cannot live in Pakistan for 18 months and not have heard some of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's songs. I'm still not Desi...Let's just say that I'm starting to appreciate certain aspects of Pakistani culture.

I'm trying to do dawah to a guy in that class. He's really into music, had Moroccan friends who used to be into traditional music, so he decided to take the class. The first day of class, the teachers had sampled the Qur'an, different styles of nasheeds, qawwalis, and poetry as an introduction to the class. This guy had closed his eyes in concentration, smiling as he heard all the music and dhikr. As soon as I saw that, I knew I had to somehow introduce him to Islam through Islamic music, dhikr, etc. I could see him totally fitting in with the Zaytuna crowd...I just needed a way to introduce him to it. I just have this feeling that once he hears the Burda and sees the brotherhood at Zaytuna, he'll want to learn more about Islam. Last week, he also closed his eyes, smiling, as he bobbed his head along to "Allah hoo." I approached him after class, asking him if he had enjoyed the qawwali...He was so shocked and I had to laugh as it took him a while to realize I had directed my question towards him. We started talking and I broached the subject of Zaytuna's weekly Burda recitations. I also talked to him a little bit about Islam...about how Muslims pray. Today after class, we talked about what music he likes listening to. I gave him the contact info for a friend who takes Shaykh Hamza's weekly class and stays for the Burdah recitation. He said that he'd check it out sometime soon, and I knew that he was serious about it.

Mission accomplished for the day. Alhamdulillah!

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment