[ Friday, January 30, 2004 ]
MSA Life
On Tuesday I did a little bit of dawa-ing...Not much, mind you. I did the whole
"why I don't shake hands with men" and "why I wear a hijab" explanation to a classmate. Brought back memories from high school.
Today was the first MSA meeting of the semester...It was sort of disorganized and there wasn't as great a turn out as last semester (and no funny skit this time either), but alhamdulillah, at least it got things started, people signed up to volunteer for different committees, and everyone had fun eating pizza and socializing. The new committee heads were announced. Suddenly, I heard my name being announced as co-tabling director (in charge of the dawa table on Sproul Plaza). I was so shocked! It was news to me! My friends around me laughed and asked me why I wasn't also up in front of everyone, addressing them. I could feel myself turning red. I was so embarrassed! As far as I know, no other freshmen were given positions. It turns out that one of the board members was supposed to email me informing me about being nominated for the position, but for whatever reason, she was unable to do so before the meeting. I would've much preferred just doing the work without having the title...Judging from what others have said, I have a feeling the MSA board is trying to get me into position for becoming a main board member by my Junior year. I don't know what to think about that. Right now, I don't want to think about commitments.
I guess I'm a pretty social person. It's weird because it takes me some time to memorize everyone's names...but yeah, I guess I'm just one of those people who when she sees other Muslims (or nonMuslims), tries to always say salaam (or hi), and asks them how everything's going for them. And alhamdulillah, I see so many Muslims on campus every single day. I don't mean to act popular or anything, but during the MSA meeting today, one of my friends laughed at how we couldn't even continue our conversation because there was always another sister to say salaam or goodbye to. And she found it hilarious that the upperclassmen would come over to where I was sitting to say goodbye. I guess the whole grade thing really doesn't matter once you get to college. Alhamdulillah for sisterhood. It's one of the reasons why I decided to come to Berkeley. I had always longed for that kind of Muslim connection. Right now, there's only one class I'm taking in which there aren't any Muslims.
Alhamdulillah I came home, swallowed my pride, and apologized to my dad. Even if we disagree about things, alhamdulillah, at least we're now talking. Finally.
Insha Allah, we might just have a good Eid after all!
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment