User-agent: * Disallow: / ~*bean*~

~*bean*~

[ Tuesday, January 20, 2004 ]

 

Back to School I go...

Today was my first day back to college to start a new semester. Let's just say that it started off with my mom waking me up and me realizing that not only had I slept through Fajr, but I was also running so late that I was supposed to be leaving at the time I was awakened. I jumped up and scrambled to get everything together in time to make it to my 8 am lecture.

Just my luck because there seemed to be more traffic than usual. Once I parked, I literally ran a few blocks to campus and then through campus (and this is one hilly campus!) to make it to my Organic Chemistry lecture. I was a little late, but alhamdulillah I found an empty aisle seat in the back. Although it was an hour and a half lecture, it wasn't too bad. The teacher went over the syllabus, did a short lecture, and proceeded to read us nutrition labels before tossing the snacks to starved students in the lecture hall. Apparently O-Chem is supposed to be totally different from General Chem. We can all pray...

My English class was alright. I'm excited because one of my old friends is also taking the class. We were so surprised to see each other again. The class seems pretty chill...The teacher even said that we may or may not have a final, depending on how far we get in the readings and whether or not they'll benefit us.

I literally emptied out my bank account to pay for my books. I bought three bags of books and notebooks, and it took me two trips back and forth to my car to drop them off. Man, I really wished at that point that someone had been able to help me carry them. And I still have more books to buy tomorrow. I swear my feet are cursing me for wearing high-heeled boots today. My hands are blistered and even a stop at Bath & Bodyworks to try on some lotion couldn't heal them.

I had a reunion with most of my Muslim friends. It seemed like I couldn't get far without seeing yet another person I needed to stop by and talk to. And my "Islam in America" class (with Dr. Hatem Bazian) isn't even until tomorrow; a lot of my friends are taking it as well...Looks like we're going to have an even bigger reunion tomorrow. You know, it's funny how many reunions I had with sisters in the bathroom! What can I say; we all have to make wudu at some point during the day.

Things really haven't changed much. Sproul Plaza is still packed with tablers, people passing out fliers, other people giving loud speeches, and homeless people singing. Today, the wall climbing thing had been rented again, though, so students were having fun with that. Ajeeb stuff. And the tie-dyed burkah man was still around on Telegraph to ask dumb questions.

My Spanish poetry class seems like insha Allah it'll be fun. The teacher is from Spain; he taught there and at the University of Paris before coming here. It's only his third semester here. He looks like he's in his early thirties, has bleached streaks through his dark hair, wears all black, and has a cool accent (It's his first time teaching a class in English). It's a pretty small and relaxed class. We're going to be studying many different types of poetry, translated into English. The teacher also wants us to email him our favorite poems so that we can share them with the class as well. In addition, each week he's going to give one student a disposable camera and we're going to photograph our interpretations of the meaning of poems. Now that's my kind of assignment!

Today as part of MSA Rush Week activities, we sisters had dinner at Tandoor Kitchen, a newly opened restaurant in Berkeley. We wanted to welcome some new sisters to school. It was fun, even though not as many sisters showed up as usually come. But it's all good. We still had a nice evening, and I think the new sisters felt really welcome.

So, now that I've really updated, here's some serious stuff to keep in mind...

The Lives of Man: The Second Life (Dunya): Chapter Afterward

VIII. Afterward

 Ali (RA) said, "When a believe dies the place where he used to pray weeps for him, and so does the place from which his deeds used to ascend to Heaven."

 Hadith: "Someone whose death coincides with the close of Ramadan enters the Garden, and someone whose death coincides with the close of 'Arafat enters the Garden, and someone whose death coincides with the close of his charity enters the Garden."

 Hadith: "Someone who dies on a Thursday night or on a Friday is given protection against the torment of the grave, and shall arrive on the Day of Rising with the marks of the martyrs."

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment