[ Monday, December 01, 2003 ]
Alright, so I need some humor right about now...Too much gloominess lately, even for me. Here's my contribution to Blogistan humor:
*Note: For those of you who don't know what "Desi" means, don't worry. I had never heard of it myself until a few years ago. Apparently, Desi refers to Southeast Asians and their culture.
Why I'm NOT Desi and proud of it!
1. We're not Punjabi-well sort of.
2. My Urdu skills are not very good, and the only Punjabi that I know is, "chado," "theno," and "chunni." And "Arrrrray," but that goes for any language I guess!
3. I'm not a hard-core Bhangra fan.
4. I don't listen to Abrar ul-Haq's songs.
5. I don't watch Indian movies unless I can help it. I laughed at the end of Devdas. Hated that movie and the songs! If I do have to watch an Indian movie, I forward the songs most of the time.
6. I detest PTV and don't watch TV in general. Pakistani dramas (soap operas) are lame!
7. A glance at my wardrobe will tell you that I'm not into the latest Pakistani and Indian trends. I don't like those pants that scrunch up at the ankles-make me think of skinny chicken legs.
8. I sew my own clothes-most of the time.
9. I prefer silver jewelry to gold jewelry.
10. I don't know the names of common Pakistani and Indian foods. When I go to a "Desi" restaurant, I have to look up the description of the dishes to know what to order.
11. I can't handle spicy food! And chatni is a no, no.
12. I don't like halwa, kheer, or ladoo that much (gulab jamans are another story!)
13. I don't drink tea. I can't cook tea. I don't like tea.
14. I need support when I go to an Indian store to buy spices.
15. I don't stare at people.
16. I don't think that talking loudly over one another is a way of having a conversation.
17. I don't think that the whiter a person's complexion, the prettier she is.
18. I don't wear green or gray contacts.
19. I don't have orange hair or blond streaks. I haven't dyed my hair yet, and don't plan to.
20. I'm not a big make-up fan.
21. We don't have dinner parties with other Pakistanis, nor do we socialize with them that much.
23. We don't have servants in Pakistan. When we go back to Pakistan, we live in our village where we don't take things like ice and electricity for granted.
24. We clean our own house here in America.
25. I'm not majoring in Engineering or Computer Science-and the way things are looking, I probably won't become a doctor anytime soon either.
26. My parents don't pressure me to become a doctor, lawyer, or engineer.
27. I don't think going to UC Berkeley is something to be proud of. And my parents don't show off about it.
28. I don't know how to dance and am not all that interested in learning how to.
29. Shopping is not something I do for fun.
30. Getting married is not my first priority.
31. I don't like listening to gossip.
32. I don't say one thing and mean something else.
33. I'm not into culture; I'm into religion.
And I can keep going...
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment