[ Friday, October 03, 2003 ]
Jummuah Mubarak!
I absolutely love Jummuahs! They're my favorite days...alhamdulillah two hours of class, going to Jummuah salah and listening to the khutbahs, hanging out with other Muslims at Julie's afterwards for lunch, and then coming home early--ahhh, just can't beat that! Plus, today my sis decided to skip classes so that she could hang out with me in Berk-Town and feel that Jummuah vibe I've been gushing about. I love my sis!
Yesterday SJP (Students for Justice in Palestine) staged a mock checkpoint at Sather Gate on campus. I heard about it the night before so after my class, I checked it out (I was feeling guilty about not going to the meetings anyway). They were passing out fliers. There were lots of banners and flags. There are three areas of entrance to Sather Gate, so under one of them, the students held the banner, "Blacks Only," except "Blacks" was crossed out and replaced with "Palestinians." Under the other entrance area, the students held the banner, "Whites Only," with "Whites" crossed out and replaced with "Israelis." There were only about 20-25 students participating though because SJP kept it on the down low--not wanting the Israeli group to stage a counterdemonstration. Alhamdulillah, we all made enough noise though to get people's attention. A few of the students wore the green IDF (Israeli Defense Force) vests and walked around shouting and pointing their fake guns at the "Palestinians." They mock searched "Palestinians" and arrested them. One of the heads of SJP gave speeches with his big microphone. The "IDF" then forced the "Palestinians" to line up in front of the gate and hurled insults at them. There were some Israeli students taking photos of us and I think they're going to try to use them against us. Man, their messed up propaganda! There were Muslims, non-Muslims, Arabs, Pakistanis, Afghans, Blacks, and others participating.
Of course I participated in the demonstration...Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm always involved with protests/rallies/demonstrations at some level--that is, of course, if they have to do with Iraq or Palestine. Some people don't even bother because they don't think it'll make a difference...but if there are Iraqis and Palestinians living each day in fear and dying by the numbers because of
our corrupt government's actions (with
our tax dollars), the least I can do is spend an hour or so out of my time and speak out against it. We have to keep the awareness going...we need to remind people because man, we Americans tend to forget things so easily...Reminds me of Dawud Wharnsby Ali's song, "Out of sight, out of mind." I took some photos and I thought about posting them, but I don't think I will. I wouldn't want my pic on the internet, so I should repsect other hijabis' wants as well. Anway, I can still hear all of our chants: "End, End the Occupation...Free, Free, Free Palestine; "Israel is an Apartheid State...Just Like South Africa;" and others. I'm so glad that I was involved...one of the reasons I decided to come to UCB was because of the fact that there's always action here...and it was looking like I wouldn't be able to do anything but study. I guess I still can get involved, but I just not at the level I used to be in high school.
I came home last night and listened to the nasheed from "the event" website. I was so busy at the event that I had missed the nasheed (as well as some of the speeches). Alhamdulillah it was very beautiful, and it was definitely worth the long wait for it to load up on my slow computer. It made me sad, though, because I realized that I had heard that nasheed before. My brother had sung it to us once after he learned it from the brothers' halaqa. That was at least a year ago. Man, how things change. But Insha Allah things
will get better.
Speaking of "the event" (Can you tell I love talking about it?), alhamdulillah our crew is still talking about stuff related to it and working at it. Still lots to do and insha Allah we'll be able to handle everything. The joint halaqa is coming up and insha Allah a lot of people will show up and "the event" vibe will still be alive. I talked to some brothers and sisters who want to organize "the event" in So-Cal as well. I personally think that although this has been our third year having it, we're still new at this and each year alhamdulillah it gets bigger. I think it's a lot of work, it takes a lot of commitment, and a great deal of connections and advice from others...At this time, I think it'll be very difficult to put "the event" on simultaneously in nor-Cal and so-Cal.
Masha Allah my dad is so cute! I was reading a children's book that my sis brought back from the library...it's called
Saladin: Noble Prince of Islam by Diane Stanley. Alhamdulillah that book is so awesome and it's got traditional Islamic style drawings! If the story of Salahuddin were written in a history book, I doubt I would've read it. Children's books rock! My dad happened to see it as he sat down next to me. He picked up another book and started reading aloud. We laughed about how when I was younger, I would sit down with a big book in front of me (oftentimes upside down) and "read" it aloud to everyone! Anyway, this morning my dad told me that he got through the first two pages of the book before falling asleep last night...hehehe. I don't blame him; I was so tired that I fell asleep reading the post-script.
So, what was the point of this post....I love Jummuahs of course!
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment