User-agent: * Disallow: / ~*bean*~

~*bean*~

[ Monday, October 27, 2003 ]

 

First Day of Ramadan!

As salaam u alaikum

Alhamdulillah the first day of Ramadan is here! No wonder it's been such a great day so far!

Last night, my sis, Daddy, and I went to the masjid to pray Isha and taraweeh. I could totally feel that magical, spiritual feeling from passed Ramadans flooding back again. For one reason or another, I hadn't been able to make it to the first taraweeh night during the the past couple of Ramadans, so I was especially looking forward to it this year. When the imam started reciting, "Alif, Laam, Meem..." I actually felt it in my heart! Alhamdulillah, such an awesome feeling!

So far, I've been sticking to my Ramadan to-do list. Insha Allah it'll last. I read a quarter of the first chapter of the Qur'an this morning after Fajr, and although I realize it's not much, I don't want to load myself up with more than I can handle. I'm taking it slow.

It seems like everywhere I go on campus today, I hear, "Ramadan Mubarak!," and everyones' faces light up with smiles. I prayed Dhuhr with Sis S in one of the buildings today, and afterwards I tabled for the MSA on Sproul for an hour. It was my first day tabling, and alhamdulillah it went well. Across from me, there was one red-faced man yelling and screaming about "Jeeeeeeesus" and how everyone's going to burn in Hell, etc. etc. He ended up solely facing me and moving closer and closer to the table, saying some totally uncalled for things about Islam. I just smiled at him and went back to reading Shaykh Hamza's article about how the West is ignorant about Islam. I guess the guy realized he wasn't going to get any anger out of me, so he got tired and went away. Shoot, I didn't need to say anything; he was digging his hole all for himself. One lady even came up to me out of concern and asked whether he was directing his fiery comments towards me. I told her not to worry because I wasn't paying attention to him anyay. It's not like the guy was being taken seriously by other people anyway, even if they were Christians. Other than that, tabling was fun. I met a lot of Muslims who wanted to know where everyone was meeting for Maghrib, Isha, and Taraweeh. Julie's (Halal) Cafe is providing free iftars, but we're trying to raise some money to pay them as well.

I'm blown away by all the opportunities to do dawah on campus...especially for classmates!

I just found out today, after two months and numerous meetings and events, that the MSA president has an identical twin brother. No wonder he always seemed weirded out by me when I approached him for "the event" stuff...I could've been talking to his brother for all I know! Yeah, I'm so slick like that! Feel like an idiot! Masha Allah the prez and his bro are hafiz, so they lead the taraweeh prayers.

Anyway, it looks like a good start to Ramadan. I'm off to home now; I'm going to do iftar with my momma and poppa! :)

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment