[ Wednesday, September 10, 2003 ]
Another crazy day goes by...
Last week one of my friends told me that I have a Kashmiri nose. I wonder what kind of nose that is...
The other morning I was walking to my car from the bank and an obnoxious construction worker whistled and waved at me. I was so embarrassedand angry, but there was nothing I could do except ignore it. It sucks when people don't understand the whole point of hijab.
On Monday I was sitting in the library with a friend, studying Calc, when a guy ran down the stairs, jumped on our table, and started making a snow angel...all while being filmed by his friends from the floor above. I asked him if he's a freshman, but he's actually a junior. Whoever said that only freshman are immature should really look out.
Today my friend and I decided to eat lunch in Sproul Plaza and to watch all the usual excitement. Someone had rented a huge rock climbing wall and students were having so much fun! I saw one of the MSA head brothers climb the wall and it was pretty funny.
I met Hajji Noor Deen and Siddi Hatem Bazian at Julie's today. That's seriously the Muslim hangout not to mention the place for really great zabihah food! Hajji Noor Deen is a master Chinese calligrapher who studied in Egypt. It's so cool because he doesn't speak English; he speaks Arabic, so when he visits the U.S. and teaches calligraphy, he needs an Arab translator. I wish I could take his class again (They're for a week at UCB), but they're too late for me. He's so nice mashAllah!
Only ten more days until our super super mucho cool event and I'm so excited and stressed at the same time! I went to the meeting for our campus Muslim newspaper, and insha Allah I'm going to write about the event! There was a brother there who said that I look really familiar, but he couldn't figure out from where, and although his last name sounded familiar, I honestly couldn't figure it out either. For some reason he thought I'm a grad student...heh. Anyway, we're hoping insha Allah to print at least 4 issues this year, which is quite a lot of work. Read those Muslim newspapers because a lot of effort goes into producing them!
I stopped by at Meesha's Gyros (formerly known as Habibi's) in Berkeley so see if they'd let me place some fliers for the event there. The son was cool about it, but as soon as the father (owner) saw me and heard about the event, it was basically a lost cause. That was quite a disappointment, but there was a nice Cal brother there who I "talked" to. The reason I say "talked," is because I soon realized that he is actually partially deaf. At first I had thought that the surrounding noise was too loud for him to hear, but having a cool sis like
Apaji has taught me to realize when someone is actually deaf and is reading lips. I had to spell my name out for him slowly because he couldn't understand me if I just said it out loud to him. He said that he goes to Boalt (UCB's law school). We were talking about the event, but then I left before the owner could accuse me of harrassing his customers.
I went to Naan & Curry instead and talked to the Pakistani guy who works there...alhamdulillah he was ok with the fliers and seemed interested in the music part of the event at least...hey, whatever gets everyone there is fine with me! I think he was just surprised that a hijabi dressed in shalwar kameez would be publicizing an event that includes hip hop performances. I explained that the artists are all Muslims and that the songs/spoken word have all been screened to relate to Islam and the theme of the event. So I dropped off a stack of fliers. Naan & Curry still plays really scary fobby music...
I don't like my classes very much. Monday especially was a very bad and emotional day, and yesterday afternoon was a bit disappointing, but insha Allah things will get better. I think I'm going to drop one of my classes and add another.
People have been asking me about my commute. It's not bad; it only takes about half an hour (When you live in the Bay Area you're used to driving far distances). Usually the traffic isn't too bad; maybe just a little bit at the tunnel. There's this one part of my commute that I absolutely love: In the mornings I can see the fog on top of the green hills the come right before the tunnel...and the road really curves back and forth and makes it a fun commute.
Yes! Our room has now been painted light lavendar/mauve! Woohoo!