User-agent: * Disallow: / ~*bean*~

~*bean*~

[ Friday, May 16, 2003 ]

 

Drama in L[a] L[a] land

Man, it�s been quite a weird day at school today.

Apparently, the ambulance had to come twice. Some guy had an epileptic seizure (his 2nd one) while swimming, or something, so the ambulance had to come. When I was walking to lunch, I saw a crying girl being taken away in a wheelchair. During lunch, there was supposedly a "chick fight," so everyone rushed to see the action (I just ate my bagel. Hmmm; fooooood!). The administrators and cops were all over. Apparently, the school just found out about freshman girls getting drunk in the bathrooms on campus; some freshman girl threw up in Mr. Ball�s class (Some other teacher was using the room that period). Last week, her friend got caught drunk on campus. Yup, those freshman girls�what can I say!

Anywayz, I saw an old friend during lunch today. She�s visiting us this weekend for Senior Ball. I glanced up at her, did a double take, and ran over to give her a hug. I hadn�t seen her for two years. I was glad to see her, but it also upset me. When I saw her, I thought, �Wow, she either really worked out, or there�s something wrong with this picture.� And I�m sorry to say it�s the latter. Apparently, last summer she was hospitalized for �stress.� Sounds all too familiar. And these kinds of things don�t just go away. I felt so bad. And it got me thinking about 7th grade again. What a year.

Instead of being unproductive in Calculus now that the AP exams are over, I decided to go to my art class instead, and start my self-portrait (more about that later). Justin and I joined Helen Kim in the art classroom. Ms. Converse has her prep period then, so it was just the three of us. Justin and I had a long discussion on Senior Ball, all-nighter, and swimming. Man, it�s so hard trying to get others to understand where I�m coming from. I told Justin that Senior Ball isn�t one of my priorities, I don�t think I�m missing much at all, it�s overrated and expensive, and if most of the fun is in dressing up (as many girls say), then I�ve already done that with the Sisters� Ball. All-Nighter takes place the night of graduation, when all the Senior graduates spend the night at school in the gym (The gym is transformed into a cool place). Many businesses cater to the students and everything is for free (well, you have to pay a ton to get in), and they have a chance to win prizes. It�s organized by the Senior parents. I told Justin that because graduation is such a special night, I want to spend it with my family. I can still have parties on other days to spend time with my friends. I just think that it�s rude to have family show up at your graduation, where you�re like the guest of honor, and then you just ditch everyone. Well, that's what I said, but in a nicer way.

I�m really excited about my new art project, a self-portrait. I still haven�t finished my last assignment, a surrealist piece, which was due over a week ago, but I started the new one already. It�s a portrait of me in the process of covering up my face with my hijab (so that just my eyes show)�kind of like putting on a chadur. The print on the hijab is really cool�it�s in black and white. I think I�ll have to make the background more colorful, since the rest of it is black, white, and skin-tone�of course they aren�t the only colors. The colors are layered and mixed (I probably will use 4-5 colors for the skin tone alone). Anywayz, I�m really happy about it so far.

Today's Senior Project presentations in English were actually interesting. I think now I actually want to read novels by Jules Verne and Margaret Atwood. I've already read The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood, and it was pretty weird, but the two novels that Liz talked about in her presentation today (Lady Oracle and Cat's Eye)sound pretty interesting. Theyr'e going on my list. Liz totally rocked today!

Alhamdulillah, in a little over a month, I managed to bring my Psychology grade up by about 12%, to a high A.

There�s not much else going on. I still need to work on the graduation speech. My motivation is that if I finish at least the rough draft, I can go see Matrix Reloaded with Finella in the theater tomorrow.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment