[ Monday, March 10, 2003 ]
We had our first Peace Club meeting today (despite the fact that the school "edited" the announcement about it on Friday and conveniently cut it out of today's morning announcements). We didn't get as many people as we thought we'd get, but it's all good...I can't blame people if they want to be out in the sun b/c I know that I'd prefer it to being in yet another classroom anyway. Darya Souchkova gave some very compelling reasons why we shouldn't go to war, the speaker from UC Berkeley (Darya Souchkova's friend) explained the U.S. economic consequences of war, and Ali Hajighafouri ( I think I just misspelled his name) talked about the background history of the the Gulf War. Yeah, the info. wasn't really new to those of us who attended the meeting, but it's good for us to get a chance to voice our opinions. Hopefully we'll be talking about some action soon...Yup, that's me-I'm always like, let's
do something!
If you didn't already know, our education is going down the drain due to the budget crisis. Teachers at Las Lomas High School are getting laid off from work so they're really pissed off and don't want to spend so much time devoted to teaching their classes anymore (I can't blame them). It's a really crappy situation and some of our best teachers are being laid off. Basically, the district has enough money to pay the teachers for both this year and next, but they're hoarding it away. They want to even cut the counselors and librarians. Anyway, Finella and Lizzie did a better job describing the situation on their blogs, so you can check them out (their linked on the side of my blog).
Apparently, there will be a protest next Wednesday in Sacramento about the budget crisis. For
this protest, our school is not only giving students excused absences, but it's also paying for their fares. HELLO! I thought we have a budget crisis! It's not that I'm against this...I feel very strongly about this subject and of course I really value education...but I feel like I have to pick my wars to fight. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people protesting for the teachers, but not as many will be willing to look beyond their immediate environments to focus on the war issue w/ Iraq.
I guess I'm just a tad bit bitter about our school's immature way of censoring our announcement. The announcement wasn't even over the word limit--the school just simply doesn't want to get into it. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? How can everyone be so complacent? Can't they even think of all the innocent Iraqi civilians who are going to die, just b/c our stupid government feels that it has to be in control and show everyone who's boss (Well, we all know that it's really Israel that controls the U.S. anyway)? Still, even if students can't help selfishly just thinking about themselves, you'd think that they'd at least think about the fact that if the draft is reinstated, they
will be drafted! This is not some dumb movie--this war could become a reality...and if it does--and I really hope it doesn't--it's going to be Hell.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment