[ Monday, March 24, 2003 ]
Salaams you all...
I couldn't stay away from my bloggie any longer. I know I
should be doing my Senior Project, but I'd rather be doing something fun...so sue me (That seems to be the popular comeback in Bloggieland right now)!
I don't want to talk about the war, b/c I get bummed out enough as it is.
Today I had the Rossmoor scholarship interview. The Rossmoor people are old rich people who give out scholarships to graduating high school students based on financial need. Scholarships are given in the amount of $2000 to students from five high schools in the area and DVC students. Last year, they gave out 32 scholarships, and they're expecting to give out about the same this year. About 60 students applied, 14 of whom are from my school (not including me). Man, I don't think I did so well at the interview. Dooood, advice to you all...never be late to interviews, not even 5 minutes late, b/c it really makes a difference. I was so nervous. The interviewers were two men and a woman, and they made me sit at the head of the conference table and answer questions. Shoot, last job inetrview I went to, I didn't get the job. I really need to get this scholarship though. I know that there are other students who probably need the money more than me, but it would really help things out especially since we're basically funding the education for our cousins in Pakistan.
Anyway, I tried on the ball gowns again today...I've narrowed my choices down to two of them-Sarah's dark blue, beaded, pooffy gown and Kelleen's mauvish gown (with matching shoes!). I dunno what I'll wear...Apaji will have to try them on to see which ones she likes. Somayya Baji: I really, really, really hope you come! Insha Allah it'll be so much fun!
I know this probably sounds weird, but I sort of feel guilty for be planning for a ball and having fun while other Muslims in Iraq (and other parts of the world) are dying. I just feel really selfish. But maybe I need to go to something like a ball and be w/ other Muslim sisters. Knowing us, we'll probably end up just talking about war anyway. I don't know...
Mrs. Burnett (the Limited English Proficiency teacher) called me at home today (b/c I;m the MSA prez) to talk about the upcoming International Week at Las Lomas High. Insha Allah it should be cool. She's trying to make the Friday of that week an extended lunch day, so we can do henna or sell international food or something. She said that's very interested in the political end of International week, but I got the feeling that others want to make it more of a cultural thing. We'll see how we can get politics in it! I had been planning on having a MSA meeting (finally!) on Friday and we could've planned for International Week w/ Mrs. Burnett, but since International Week is cking up really fast, I told Mrs. Burnett that she could get all the club presidents together and then we'd have mroe people participating in it. This should be fun insha Allah!
I feel bad about the MSA, but I don't know what to do...I feel like I get myself committed to too many things. Right now I'm very focused on Kaiser, Peace Club, and the Diversity Committee. And I need to come up w/ a graduation speech over Spring Break (next week-YES!) It would help if others in the MSA showed some interest in it...or if they helped lead discussions now and then...or if they even showed up to the meetings! I guess I could talk about Iraq, but I'm trying to keep politics separate from the MSA, except for the emails I send to the MSA list. We have the Peace Club for politics. I just can't get the support from the MSA members that I need. The yearbook pic never happened. People just aren't committed. I'm not going to continue begging people to show up to the meetings, wait for them to show up before starting the meetings, and then not have anyone walk through the door. I'm sorry but I'm a bit fed up w/ flaky people. It's not like I'm going to quit the MSA or anything...afterall I started it last year. and it's the MSA--that's like quitting on dawah...nope, can't do that! I guess I just had a whole different idea about the MSA...I had a lot of hope for it...and now some of the MSA people are openly doing very unIslamic things...I just keep quiet and try not to judge them b/c I know that'll it'll just repell them from the MSA...maybe they'll come away from their actions realizing how wrong they were and they'll become even better Muslims...you never know. I just have to keep hoping.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment