[ Tuesday, March 18, 2003 ]
Man, I can't believe that it's gotten so bad that something like this would happen to people I know. The following is an email from a Muslim sister much loved in our community:
assalaam walaikum..
please read and distribute far and wide. the primary victim is my very good friend, rima.
-seher
--------------------------------------------------
"SUSPECT THREATENED TO KILL VICTIM CUT OFF VICTIMS FINGERS BECAUSE VICTIM IS A MUSLIM FEMALE" -Quote from the Investigation report.
************************
This weekend Eman, Raqiyyah and I went down to LA to give a workshop for youth to find empowerment and social justice through art. After a long day of working hard at the conference on Saturday, Sunday morning came around and we decided that prior to beginning our journey home we'd enjoy a nice sunday brunch. We decided on a great breakfast place in Venice CA.
when...
We went and sat down on the outside patio of the restaurant. Sitting directly in front of us was a man playing a guitar. A few minutes later he starts singing along with his guitar. Eman noticed what he was singing about, and we all stop to listen...
His song goes.... "Those goddamn Muslim terrorists attack our country.... They where ugly robes that are so stinky... And they rape their women all the time... I wouldn't want to be a Muslim woman cause they rape their women over there... but since their women like it they don't need to get it over there we can give it to them here."
I complained to the owner about the man. The owner went to the man and started to converse with him. They appeared to have a friendly and personal relationship. She told him that someone had complained about his singing and just to stop singing for a little bit.
The man got really angry, and turned to his friend and said "Who are the shits that complained just cause I'm singing about those damn terrorists? I wonder who complained - I'm going to beat the shit out of them.... I'm going to go find out who complained"
He went and found out who it was who complained, and started threatening me. He threatened to cut off my fingers. He threatened to follow us when we walked out the door and kill us. He called me a bitch, cocksucker, ugly and other names as well as continuously calling us terrorists and accusing us of contacting our terrorists friends when we were calling the police.
so we reported it and now the man is facing felony charges and a hate crime.
This is what happened when four Muslim American women went to have Sunday brunch in LA...this is reality no fiction and no exaggeration...we'll keep you posted....
-Rima