[ Saturday, March 29, 2003 ]
As salaam u alaikum
Man, I already have a feeling this is going to be a long post, so get comfortable people...although I can't beat Apaji and her rambling.
On Thursday I found out I got accepted to UC Berkeley! Although the website had posted the results at 3 pm, I only got through at 4:08 pm (yep, I was counting the minutes!). It was funny b/c Dasha, Finella, Helen, and I were online at the same time, frantically trying to get through. I called Daddy to update him and he said that he was doing dua for me. I was so nervous that when I finally signed in, I didn't even read the title and just went scrolling through the page, trying to figure out whether or not I got in...I finally looked at the top of the page and read the congratulations. I was so excited that I jumped up yelling, "I got in! I got in! I got in!" and met Ummy and Apaji in the hallway. We all hugged and kissed, like over and over again. We're a funny family. I called Daddy at work again and told him the good news. I was so shocked! I had totally expected to be rejected...I had even planned to send an appeal to Berkeley. Man, Berkeley just seemed so far out of my reach. I thought only geniuses got accepted there. Daddy brought home blueberry cheesecake. When Nasser Lalaji came home from work to have dinner with us, he brought me a chocolate cake that said, �Congrats Shereen!� on it in orange icing. It was so cute; he was all worried that the writing wasn�t done nicely. I was so touched! Daddy used up half a roll of film taking pictures of me cutting the cake.
I'm so happy b/c I had thought that even if I got accepted to Berkeley, it wouldn't ensure that that's where I'd go for college. I figured we'd have a huge debate and weigh the pros and cons of going to Berkeley over Davis. Lately though, my dad has been talking like I'm definitely going to Berkeley. Maybe I will, or maybe the lectures just haven't begun yet. I know that I'll probably have to take BART or a bus to Berkeley b/c even though Berkeley is so much closer than Davis, the traffic is really bad. I'll need to get a cell phone. And I'll still need the car to drive to BART, so those are added expenses (not to mention BART fare). If I were going to Davis, I'd just drive w/ Apaji, which would save costs. This morning, I was thinking about all this, so I said that I should get a job during summer. Daddy looked at me and told me to take a couple of summer courses at DVC (the community college nearby) so that it would save costs and I would have a better learning experience (since I wouldn't be stuck in a lecture hall of 300 people). Masha Allah, that's so like my dad--he values education over working. I still feel somewhat guilty about going to Berkeley. So much to consider. I just hope that inshaAllah I'll get more scholarships.
Anyway, yesterday I didn't go to school. I know you might be thinking, "Oh no, she found out she got into Berkeley so now her Senioritis just got worse and she won't even go to school anymore!" Actually, I had decided earlier, during lunch, that I needed a "mental health day" and that I wouldn't go to school the next day. Plus, it would add one extra day to my Spring Break, and I couldn't resist. Hey, I'm still responsible--I stopped by at school during lunch and dropped off my homework and picked up all my art supplies b/c I need to finish the piece that was due yesterday, as well as do 4 more pieces during Spring Break for my A.P. concentration (my concentration is on Islamic art-architecture, geometric designs, calligraphy, hijab, etc).
Apaji and I got ready for the Sisters' Ball, which was yesterday. We went shoe shopping. It was so funny b/c I picked out 6 pairs of shoes and Apaji picked 3. By the time we tried them all on and narrowed them down...we both had the same pair of shoes, but in different sizes. We might as well have been twins. When we got home, we decided to paint our nails. Man, I seriously couldn't even remember the last time I wore nailpolish. I stopped wearing nailpolish and makeup long ago when I realized how annoying it is to have to take everything off to do salah regularly. I seriously detest painting my nails! It's such a long, tedious, and boring process that I can't believe that some girls even enjoy it. I can't believe that some girls actually try to match their nailpolish to what they're wearing at that moment. And those dumb cotton balls between the toes-they cause major toe cramps! And you have to layer the nails like 2-3 times without smudging them or getting nailpolish on your finger/toes. Ehhh, enough about nailpolish! I showered and brushed my hair. Having short hair is the best! And no hairsprays or gels in my hair! Just brush and go! I did my makeup and once Apaji was ready, we left to Oakland.
The Ball was in a really nice area. It was in the hills and the community center was really great. Masha Allah the sisters had decorated the place so nicely. Once Apaji and I got there, we changed into our dresses. We all got a kick out of being able to use the men's restroom for once. It was weird not wearing hijab, but we all got used to it after a while. We met some really cool sisters. The Muslimah DJ was really funny. They had all sorts of music-Arabi, hip-hop, 80�s, bhangra, etc. Man, masha Allah people have so much energy. Apaji and I just sat and watched others dance because we just can�t dance. It just doesn�t work for me. Oh well, I don�t think I�m really missing out on much. Victoria Secret lotions and bath stuff were raffled off. Apaji and I took lots of pictures of our own and then we got professional photographs also, which will be coming within two weeks. Asima also took sisters� photos with the backdrop behind us and she was all like, �This is going to your future husband.� I was like, �I sure hope so!� Masha Allah, she has nothing to worry about because she�s already married. I still can�t believe it because she�s so tiny. I keep thinking that she�s still in high school or something. Jataan (sp?) got 1st place for best dressed; Asima got 2nd place (She wore a sari), and a cute baby wearing a kimono got 3rd place. Masha Allah all the sisters looked so beautiful. Masha Allah Jataan is so generous that she gave her crown and flowers to another sister who she believed should have gotten 1st place. It�s so amazing looking around a room and seeing sisters of different ethnicities, knowing that we�re all united through Islam. Anyway, the dinner was pretty good and there was chocolate cake for dessert! Apaji and I had so much fun at the Ball. It�s so nice just getting out and socializing with other sisters. We got home about 11 pm. I can�t wait until our photos get developed now. I can�t wait until the next Ball! Sisters� Talent Night is coming up and I think Somayya Baji is going to be singing!
Anyway, enough of my rambling for now. I feel some chocolate cravings coming on.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment