[ Saturday, March 01, 2003 ]
As salaam u alaikum!
Because everyone seems to be asking about my speech, I've decided to post it on my blog. The prompt was "Please attach an original essay explaining who you are, how you feel about education and your community, and how they have prepared you to enter adulthood." If I had had more time to write the essay, I would've added some more to it, but I'm still happy w/ it.
Please do dua for me to insha Allah be selected as the commencement speaker...a "Hijabified" Muslimah as graduation speaker--now
that would be mucho cool!
Anywayz, here's the speech:
THE TWINKLING STARS
As I sit staring at the computer screen, I ponder who I am. I know that it should be quite a simple task to describe myself, yet I cannot help but wonder at the complexity it holds for me. There are just too many varied layers to unfold and express in words.
First and foremost, I am a Muslim American of Pakistani descent. I am the youngest of three children and still like to hold my father�s hand and have my sister warm up my feet. On the other hand, I am quite independent and unafraid to express my opinions�whether or not anyone is listening. I love the colors red and orange because they are so vibrant. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I have an insatiable taste for chocolate. I enjoy painting and reading, as well as tutoring my classmates in Calculus. I value individuality and have a unique sense of fashion (which is not surprising considering I sew my own clothes). I am
always in a hurry: I am told that I was in a hurry to start kindergarten, and I know that I am now counting the weeks until I graduate from high school. Although I believe that I am ready for college life, I sometimes wish that it would not mean leaving behind my high school community and all its special memories.
I believe that an education is priceless because it not only holds greater opportunities for the future, but it also makes one examine aspects of life critically. I am sure that one of the reasons I value education so greatly is because I am one of the first generation of women in my family to receive a post-elementary school education. When I observe my mother's struggle with reading simple words and hear her regret having not received a formal education, I realize just how blessed I am to have the opportunities that she never had. I personally enjoy my advanced preparatory classes because they challenge me to think critically, ask questions, and analyze a situation from different perspectives. In addition, I appreciate my teachers� colorful personalities that enrich the subjects they teach. My teachers are more than just people who make a living explaining mathematical equations and the correct use of grammatical structure. They genuinely worry about my well being, listen to my concerns, and encourage me to believe in my abilities. My art teacher, Ms. Converse, for example, encouraged me to form the Muslim Students Association soon after the September 11th tragedy, when I was saddened by the misconceptions and distrust towards Muslims and people of Middle Eastern descent. When other teachers and staff members started attending the informational meetings, I was touched that such wonderful, knowledgeable people believed that
I had something to offer
them. Such support has instilled in me confidence and a drive to become actively involved in my school and community.
I believe that community is also such an important factor in shaping one�s future in the right direction. From the start, I have been welcomed and accepted by my community�whether that community is my family, my friends, my co-workers, or just people who walk by everyday on the street. My family has always believed in me and pushed me to try my hardest. They have raised me to trust my instincts and not to be afraid to try something new. My father always tells me that there is nothing wrong with some excitement in life, and his advice reminds me not to limit myself (after all, I never did always color in the lines). The maturity and experience I have gained from becoming a more active member of the community (i.e. holding various leadership positions at Las Lomas High School, being a Volunteer Shift Leader at Kaiser Permanente, and organizing youth group events) have undoubtedly prepared me for my future. Time spent with my community has influenced me to appreciate our diverse beliefs and ways of life, as well as the underlying humanity that unites us all. My experience of living in Pakistan for eighteen months has taught me to be proud of my strong heritage and to have compassion for those who are not blessed with the same opportunities I have. My observations of Pakistanis� generosity and willingness to help others in need, despite their own poor conditions, have inspired me to give back to my community through studying medicine.
At this point in my life, I have decided that I will either become a general practitioner or a pediatrician. I therefore applied for higher education to the University of California at Berkeley and to the University of California at Davis. Although I am not positive about my intended major, I am firmly committed to studying medicine. My life-long dream is to eventually run a free clinic in a poverty stricken, rural area of Pakistan with my sister and cousin. We plan to not only pursue medical careers in the United States, but also alternate our trips to Pakistan in order to run the clinic there. I truly believe that with a positive attitude and determination, two qualities that I have gained from my experience in school and the community, this vision can be transformed into a reality.
In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the slowly diminishing, remaining portion of my high school years. I will make an effort to try something new, despite the fact that initially it may seem rather foreign and incomprehensible to me. I will remember to slow down once in a while to give my mother a sweet kiss�and my brother an extra hug. I will appreciate each new day, prepare for the next, and when the time comes to throw our graduation caps in the air, I will throw mine towards the bright, twinkling stars that really do not seem so distant after all.
0 comments
0 Comments:
Post a Comment