User-agent: * Disallow: / ~*bean*~

~*bean*~

[ Friday, February 21, 2003 ]

 

Yeah...so I found out today that I got a 65% on my psychology test. My teacher was all like, "Yeah, you've done better. This is a first!" Now I'm scared to see what I got on yesterday's Calc test--I think I did worse than the Psych test!

Yesterday was my birthday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! Yeah, I'm an old fogie--I turned 19 years old. I don't know about you guys, but that seems really old to me. Not that if someone else is that age, they are old...it just seems old for me b/c I'm so short and the youngest in the family. Actually, Nasser Lalaji and I are both 19 now, until his b'day on Mar. 12th.

Nasser Lalalji was so nice to me yesterday. I was so proud of him too. He had a day off from work so he went w/ Daddy to Jani Khan Babaji's jinaza (funeral service). If you know anything about Nasser Lalaji, you know that's a big accomplishment and step for the better! On the way back home, they stopped by at a store and bought me a yummy gourmet-looking chocolate cake. It had a square piece of chocolate on the top that said, "Happy Birthday Shereen" in lavender frosting (you know that it's a big thing when men, even if they are your father and brother, are able to remember one of your favorite colors). The chocolate square was so rich that I had to eat it in two sittings. The cake was majorly yummy! Anyway, Nasser Lalaji was majorly nice and sweet--I even got a hug and kiss out of him! : )

My birthday was not that eventful, but it's alright b/c I wasn't expecting much. I realize that Ummy and Daddy just got back from Pakistan on Wednesday night and they are pretty jet-lagged. Plus, we're getting visitors. Mostafa Kakaji, his wife, Najma Bhabi, and Khalid Lalaji came over last night and shared the b'day cake w/ us. It's always so much fun w/ the Bhattis--especially Najma Bhabi: masha Allah she's majorly cool and down to earth; I feel like I can always talk to her about anything! Nasser Lalaji actually sat with the adults and participated in the converstaion about the war hype. I was so proud of him!

At school, Ritu got me a pretty silver necklace (that just happened to match what I was wearing) and Helen got me a cool card that also had braille on it. I got all emotional when I read her card, but I laughed it off. I really can't believe that Helen and I have known each other for almost five years now. In some aspects, that seems like such a long time (I keep forgetting that it has been a while since we moved from Davis), but I feel like I've known Helen for so much longer...we're both so alike that sometimes it's scary--sometimes it's like me and Apaji (we have the same thoughts at the same time--and we know what the other is thinking). Samantha sang me happy b'day after lunch. When I got home, Apaji said happy birthday and gave me a hug and kiss. Somayya Baji and her mommy, Aisha Boboji, also called from SacTown to wish me a happy birthday. Daddy and Nasser Lalaji called me from the road to do the same. At school today, Angela brought me a mini German chocolate cake (my lunch!) and she painted me a pretty birthday sign, which is currently hanging in my locker.

When I got home yesterday, I just helped Ummy unpack all her luggage. I got to see all the pretty new clothes (now I have to get to sewing!) and the beautiful wooden and metal artwork that Daddy bought from Pakistan. We also gave Ummy and Daddy their Eid gifts too--we had gotten Daddy an Eid Mubarak coffee mug w/ chocolates inside, and Ummy a really soft lavender cream (from Zaytuna during the Eid weekend celebration).

Oh! Before I forget: Good news everyone!!!!! Alhamdulillah I won a scholarship for $500! It was the 32nd Dist. PTSA scholarship and there were only 3 awarded. I got the most prestigious one too, which means that I'm invited to read my essay (that I had submitted) next Thursday at the Founder's Day Banquet at the Hilton in Concord. I'm the only winner invited (I hope it won't be boring). I'm kind of nervous, but insha Allah Daddy will be with me to give me support. He wasn't here when I wrote the essay, so I'm making him wait until my speech on Thursday to hear it. I hope that insha Allah everything goes well.

What else, what else...the Unity Halaqa is tomorrow at SRVIC. I'm excited about that too. I have to get the chocolate gifts ready for the sisters' social event. Insha Allah it'll be fun and inspiring and everyone will enjoy themselves. We're trying to spread the word and get more brothers and sisters to come.

Hehe! Ummy just sneezed and I'm so out of it that instead of saying "YarhamukAllah," I said, "Fi aman Allah!" (Go under God's protection/trust)--not even once, but twice! Ummy and Apaji gave me these looks. I'm so weird...but we've already established that...many times.


0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment