User-agent: * Disallow: / ~*bean*~

~*bean*~

[ Monday, February 24, 2003 ]

 

I think Daddy's got something on his mind and he just won't come out w/ it:

Yesterday we were all joking around and Daddy was all like, "Hurry up and get out of college and get married so I can retire!" Keep in mind that I'm not even in college quite yet! Then he mentioned having to find eligible guys from Barazai for Apaji and me to marry. I thought we were all over that...He had told Apaji and I that since we weren't yet engaged in Barazai that we would obviously marry guys out of Barazai (which made me feel a lot better--it's very limited in Barazai--the guys are not all very educated and they have different ideas about Islam than I do). But apparently, Ummy and Daddy's trip to Pakistan got them back back into the Barazai thing...

Later, Daddy showed me an advertisement from a guy's business in England. Apparently the guy is 22, is still studying, is doing extremely well at a business he started, and his family is from Barazai...And the weirdo I am, I didn't pick up on anything.

When I was going to bed, Daddy was talking about unsewn clothes that women gave Ummy as gifts in England. He was talking about how nice that same guy's mother and grandmother were, and how they had both given Ummy clothes as gifts. The funny thing is that I had seen one of the cloth materials that they had given us, and I had really liked it--b/c it was red and had gold decorative stuff on it. I noticed that it looked a lot like bridal-wear, but, I guess it didn't really register (or I'm probably making too much of this). Daddy was all like, "You don't think they really gave it to your mom to wear, do you?" Then, "You don't think they gave it for Nasser Lalaji's bride do you?" Yeah, Nasser Lalaji's not even engaged yet. I played it all off and Daddy, being the funny guy he is, said, "You don't think that they gave it for me to wear do you?" and we both laughed.

It was funny and I'm sure that Daddy didn't make any promises or anything w/o first consulting Apaji and me, but it just felt kind of embarrassing. We had talked about this before--the importance of religion, education, family background, etc. in looking for potential guys for marriage. I wish that I could just tell him that already
know who I want to marry...but I can't do that either. I have to wait, see how things go, and look for the right time. I even had a dream about it last week--I was all set to tell Daddy, and then I chickened out.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment